Culture

Welcome!

This community is for professionals and enthusiasts of our products and services.
Share and discuss the best content and new marketing ideas, build your professional profile and become a better marketer together.

论语The Discourses and Sayings of Confucius Part 5

Chinese Lover

辜鸿铭译

Translated by Gu Hongming

公冶长第五

(一)

子谓公冶长:“可妻也。虽在缧绁之中,非其罪也。”以其子妻之。子谓南容:“邦有道,不废;邦无道,免于刑戮。”以其兄之子妻之。

辜译

Confucius remarked of a disciple, saying, “No man need hesitate to give his daughter to such a man to wife. It is true he has been in prison, but it was through no crime of his.” Confucius accordingly gave him his own daughter to wife.

Confucius remarked of another disciple, saying, “When there is order and justice in the government of the country, he will not be neglected. But should there be no order and justice in the government of the country, he will escape persecution.” Confucius accordingly gave his niece to him to wife.

孔子评价他的学生公冶长时说:“可以把女儿嫁给这样的男人,没错,他曾经进过监狱,但这并不是他的过错。”

于是,孔子把自己的女儿嫁给了他。孔子又评价另一位学生南容说:“当国家政治运行有序、社会公正的时候,他的才能不会被忽视。而当国家政治秩序混乱、社会不公的时候,他也会免遭迫害。”于是,孔子把自己的侄女嫁给了他。

(二)

子谓子贱:“君子哉若人!鲁无君子者,斯焉取斯?”

辜译

Confucius then went on to remark of another disciple, saying, “What a wise and good man he is! I wonder if there were no wise and good men in the country, how that man could have acquired the character he has.”

孔子评价另一位学生宓子贱说:“他真是个君子啊!倘若鲁国没有君子,那他又是从哪里学到美德的呢?”

(三)

子贡问曰:“赐也何如?”子曰:“女,器也。”曰:“何器也?”曰:“瑚琏也。”

辜译

Another disciple who heard the above remarks said then to Confucius, “And I, what do you say of me? ” “You are, ” answered Confucius, “a work of art.”“What work of art? ” asked the other. “A rich jewelled work of art.” was the reply.

孔子的学生子贡听到上述评论后问孔子:“老师,您怎么评价我呢?”“你呀,”孔子说,“就好比一件艺术品。”“是什么艺术品?”子贡问。“一件镶满珠宝的雍容华贵的艺术品。”孔子回答。

(四)

或曰:“雍[插图]也,仁而不佞。”子曰:“焉用佞?御人以口给,屡憎于人。不知其仁,焉用佞?”

辜译

Somebody remarked of a disciple of Confucius, saying, “He is a good moral man, but he is not a man of ready wit.”When Confucius heard the remark, he said, “What is the good of a ready wit? A man who is always ready with his tongue to others will only often make enemies. I do not know if he is a moral man, but I do not see the good of having a ready wit.”

有人评论孔子的学生冉雍说:“他是个道德高尚的人,但却不够有口才与敏思。”当孔子听到这样的评价时,说道:“敏思和口才有什么用呢?如果一个人总是随时想和别人唇枪舌剑,往往只能到处树敌。我不知道他是不是一个道德高尚的人,但我也没有发现敏思与口才有什么好处。”

(五)

子使漆雕开仕。对曰:“吾斯之未能信。”子说。

辜译

Confucius on one occasion wanted a disciple to enter public life.“No, ”answered the disciple, “I have not yet confidence in myself.”ThereuponConfucius commended him.

有一次,孔子想让他的学生漆雕开去做官。漆雕开回答:“不行,我对做官还没有信心。”孔子听了很欢喜。

(六)

子曰:“道不行,乘桴浮于海,从我者,其由与!”子路闻之喜。子曰:“由也好勇过我,无所取材。”

辜译

Confucius on one occasion remarked, “There is no order and justice now in the government in China. I will betake me to a ship and sail over the sea to seek for it in other countries. If I take anybody with me, I will take Yu.”referring to a disciple.

The disciple referred to, when he heard of what Confucius said, was glad, and offered to go.

“My friend, ” said Confucius then to him, “You have certainly more courage than I have; only you do not exercise judgment when using it.”

有一次,孔子说:“眼下政局混乱,我主张的公平正义也行不通。我想乘一艘小船漂洋过海,去别的国家寻找秩序和公平。如果我要带一个人去,我会选择仲由。”于是伸手指向仲由。听到孔子的话,仲由非常兴奋,说愿意一同前往。

“我的朋友,”孔子随后对他说,“你的确比我更勇敢,但是你勇猛有余,判断不足,这就不大好了。”

(七)

孟武伯问:“子路仁乎?”子曰:“不知也。”又问。子曰:“由也,千乘之国,可使治其赋也,不知其仁也。”“求也何如?”子曰:“求也,千室之邑,百乘之家,可使为之宰也,不知其仁也。”“赤也何如?”子曰:“赤也,束带立于朝,可使与宾客言也,不知其仁也。”

辜译

A member of a powerful family of nobles in Confucius' native State askedConfucius if his disciple, the above mentioned Chung Yu, was a moral character. “I cannot say, ” answered Confucius. But on being pressed,Confucius said, “In the government of a State of even the first-rate power the man could be entrusted with the organisation of the army. I cannot say if he could be called a moral character.”

The noble then put the same question with regard to another disciple.Confucius answered, “In the government of a large town or in the direction of affairs in a small principality, the man could be entrusted with the chief authority. I cannot say if he could be called a moral character.”

The noble went on to put the same question with regard to another disciple.Confucius answered, “At court, in a galadress reception, he could been trusted with the duty of entertaining the visitors. I cannot say if he could be called a moral character.”

鲁国贵族孟武伯问孔子,他的学生仲由是不是一个道德高尚的人。“我不好说,”孔子回答。但对方一再追问,孔子说:“在一个千乘大国,他可以受命管理军政。至于他是不是一个道德高尚的人,我并不晓得。”

然后,孟武伯针对孔子的另一个学生冉有提出了同样的问题。孔子回答说:“他可以作为行政长官,主管大城镇或小诸侯国的事务。至于他是不是一个道德高尚的人,我并不好说。”孟武伯继续针对另一位学生公西赤提出了同样的问题。孔子回答:“在正式的宫廷宴会上,他可以负责接待外宾。至于他是不是一个道德高尚的人,我也说不清。”

(八)

子谓子贡曰:“女与回也孰愈?”对曰:“赐也何敢望回?回也闻一以知十,赐也闻一以知二。”子曰:“弗如也。吾与女弗如也。”

辜译

Confucius once said to a disciple, “You and Hui(the favourite Yen Hui),who is the abler man? The disciple answered, “How should I dare compare myself with him. When he has learnt one thing he immediately understand sits application to all cases; whereas I, when I have learnt one thing I can only follow out its hearing and applications to one or two particular cases.”

孔子曾问他的学生子贡:“你和颜回相比,谁更有才华?”子贡回答:“我怎么敢和他相比较呢?他学了一样东西,立刻能将它应用到各个方面;而我学了一样东西后,只能顺着它的含义,将它应用在一两个方面。”

(九)

宰予昼寝,子曰:“朽木不可雕也,粪土之墙不可圬也,于予与何诛!”子曰:“始吾于人也,听其言而信其行;今吾于人也,听其言而观其行。于予与改是。”

辜译

A disciple of Confucius spent the best hours of the day in sleep, Confucius ,remarking on it, said: “You cannot carve any thing out of rotten wood nor plaster up wall built up of rubbish, what is the use of rebuke in such a case?”

Confucius then went on to say, “At one time, when I wanted to judge of a man, I listened to what he said, and I knew for certain what he would do in his life. But now, when I want to judge of a man, I have to look at what he does in his life as well as listen to what he says. It is, perhaps, men like this young man who have made me change my method of judging men.”

孔子的学生宰予在白天的最好时间睡大觉,孔子评价这件事说:“腐烂的木头无法雕刻,垃圾建造的墙壁粉刷不得。对于宰予,指责他又有什么用呢?”

孔子接着说:“以前,当我想要评判一个人的时候,听他一席话,便会在某种程度上相信他今后能做什么。但是现在,当我想要评判一个人的时候,我会在听了他的话后,考察他今后到底做了些什么。或许,正是宰予改变了我评判人的方式。”

(十)

子曰:“吾未见刚者。”或对曰:“申枨。”子曰:“枨也欲,焉得刚?”

辜译

Confucius once remarked, “I do not now see a man of strong character.”“There is So-and-so, ” said somebody. “No, ” replied Confucius, “he is a man of strong passions; he is not a man of strong character.”

有一次孔子说:“我到目前为止还没有见过性格坚强的人。”有人回答:“申枨就是坚强的人。”孔子回答:“不,他这个人欲望太强烈,怎么能算性格坚强的人呢?”

(十一)

子贡曰:“我不欲人之加诸我也,吾亦欲无加诸人。”子曰:“赐也,非尔所及也。”

辜译

A disciple said to Confucius, “What I do not wish that others should not do unto me, I also do not wish that I should do unto them.” “My friend, ”answered Confucius, “You have not yet attained to that.”

孔子的学生子贡对孔子说:“我不愿意别人强加在我身上的事情,我也不愿意将它强加在别人身上。”孔子回答:“赐啊,你还没有达到那样的境界。”

(十二)

子贡曰:“夫子之文章,可得而闻也;夫子之言性与天道,不可得而闻也。”

辜译

A disciple of Confucius remarked, “You will often hear the master speak on the subjects of art and literature, but you will never hear him speak on the subjects of metaphysics or theology.”

孔子的学生子贡说:“我们经常听老师谈论艺术和文学,但从来没听他谈论过人性或天道。”

(十三)

子路有闻,未之能行,惟恐有闻。

辜译

When Confucius' disciple, the intrepid Chung Yu, had learnt anything which he was not yet able to carry out into practice, he was afraid to learn anything new.

孔子的学生仲由在学到知识却无法付诸实践时,会害怕学习新的知识。

(十四)

子贡问曰:“孔文子何以谓之文也?”子曰:“敏而好学,不耻下问,是以谓之文也。”

辜译

A disciple, speaking of an ancient worthy of the time, enquired of Confucius saying, “How was it that he had the title of ‘Beau-clerc' added as an honour to his name after his death? ”

“He was, ” answered Confucius, “a man of great industry, who applied himself to self culture; he was not ashamed to seek for information from others more ignorant than himself. For that reason he has had the title of ‘Beau-clerc' added as an honour to his name after his death.

”孔子的学生子贡问孔子关于当时一位知名人物孔文子的事:“为什么他去世后,人们给他加上‘文’这样的谥号呢?”

孔子回答:“他是一个非常勤奋的人,并且懂得如何培养自己的文化修养;他会向比他懂的少的人请教,而且不感到羞耻。所以在他去世以后,人们给他加上了‘文’的谥号。”

(十五)

子谓子产:“有君子之道四焉:其行己也恭,其事上也敬,其养民也惠,其使民也义。”

辜译

Confucius remarked of a famous statesman(the Colbert of the time),saying, “He showed himself to be a good and wise man in four ways. In his conduct of himself he was earnest, and in serving the interests of his prince he was serious. In providing for the wants of the people, he was generous, and in dealing with them he was just.”

孔子评论一位著名的政治家子产时说:“他在四个方面表现出他是一个品德高尚且智慧超群的人:他做事时热情诚挚;对待君上时庄重严肃;教化子民时慷慨大方;同百姓交往时公平公正。”

辜解

如果中国在关键的历史时期,能够坚守正义与公理,表明自己是一个置友谊、法律和正义高于自己利益之上的、甚至不考虑自己安危的民族,一个重视“君子之道”的民族,那么它就能赢得全世界的敬重并能借此拯救自己,甚至可以拯救世界和目前世界的文明。在我看来,从根本上讲,现在欧洲盛行的可怕战争的最主要的道德原因正在于:欧美各民族的国务活动家和政客们忘记了“君子之道”,他们的行为即是孟子所谓的“先利而后义”,依据孟子的意思:“苟为先利而后义”,是“不夺而餍”的。

(十六)

子曰:“晏平仲善与人交,久而敬之。”

辜译

Confucius remarked of another famous statesman(the Sir William Temple of the time), saying, “He knew how to observe the true relations in friendship.However long-standing his acquaintance with a man might be, be always maintained throughout the same invariable careful respect.”

孔子评价另一位著名政治家晏子时说:“他擅长观察交友之道的真谛,无论和一个人交往多长时间,他都能始终保持长期不变的谨慎尊重。”(这句话常被翻译成:他善于和别人交朋友,相交越久,别人就对他越发恭敬。)

(十七)

子曰:“臧文仲居蔡,山节藻棁,何如其知也!”

辜译

Confucius remarked of an eccentric character of the time, saying,“The man actually built a chapel elaborate with carvings for a large tortoise which he kept.What can one say of the intellect of a man like that? ”

孔子评价当时一位性情古怪的人臧文仲时说:“这个人建了一座精雕细琢的祠堂来供奉他养的一只大龟。像这样的人能说他有智慧吗?”

(十八)

子张问曰:“令尹子文三仕为令尹,无喜色;三已之,无愠色。旧令尹之政,必以告新令尹。何如?”子曰:“忠矣。”曰:“仁矣乎?”曰:“未知。焉得仁?”“崔子弑齐君,陈文子有马十乘,弃而违之,至于他邦,则曰:‘犹吾大夫崔子也。’违之。之一邦,则又曰:‘犹吾大夫崔子也。’违之,何如?”子曰:“清矣。”曰:“仁矣乎?”曰:“未知。焉得仁?”

辜译

A disciple of Confucius asked him to give his opinion of a public character of the time, saying, “In his public life three times he was made Prime Minister, and yet on none of these occasions did he show the least signs of elation.Three times he was dismissed from office, and also on none of these occasions did he show the least signs of disappointment. He was careful every time, when giving up office, to explain to his successor the line of policy which the Government under him hitherto had been pursuing.”

“Now, ” asked the disciple, “what do you think of him? ”

“He was, ” answered Confucius, “a conscientious man.”

“But, ” asked the disciple, “could he be called a moral character? ”“l can not say, ” replied Confucius, “if he could be called a moral character.”

The disciple then went on to ask about another public character, saying,“When the Prime Minister in his native State murdered the prince, his master, that worthy had large possessions in the country, but he threw them all away and quitted the country. Arriving at another State, he remarked, ‘I see here they are all patricides, the same as our patricide minister at home; 'and immediately again quitted that country. Thus he went on from one State to another, making the same observation. Now, what do you think of this man?”

“He was, ” replied Confucius, “a pure, high-minded man.” “But, ”asked the disciple, “could he he called a moral character? ” “I can not say, ”answeredConfucius, “if he could be called a moral character.”

孔子的学生子张请孔子对当时一位公众人物子文发表看法,他说:“子文在做官期间,曾三次担任楚国宰相,但是他没有表现出任何高兴的神色。三次被免职后,他也从未表现出任何沮丧的神色。他每一次离职的时候,总会格外谨慎地给接替他职位的人阐释他管辖的政府部门的政策方针。请问,您觉得这个人怎么样?”

孔子回答:“他是一个做事尽职尽责的人。”学生问:“能称他为仁德的人吗?”孔子回答:“这个我无法评判。”

子张继续和孔子谈论另一位公众人物陈文子,说:“当齐国大臣崔杼杀死国君齐庄公时,尽管陈文子在国内拥有巨额财产,但是他把所有东西都舍弃了,并离开了这个国家。当来到另一个国家时,他说:‘我看这里的人和我们国内的崔氏一样,都是杀父杀兄之人。’所以也立刻离开了那个国家。然后他又从一个国家去到另一个国家,发现情况跟之前一样。您怎么看这个人呢?”

孔子回答:“他是一个清白的人。”学生问:“那么,能称他为仁德的人吗?”孔子回答:“这个我无法评判。”

(十九)

季文子三思而后行。子闻之,曰:“再,斯可矣。”

辜译

It was remarked of a public character of the time that he always reflected three times over every time before he acted. When Confucius heard of the remark, he observed, “Think twice——that is sufficient.”

季文子每做一件事之前都要思考再三。孔子听到后说:“思考两次就够了。”

(二十)

子曰:“宁武子,邦有道则知,邦无道则愚。其知可及也,其愚不可及也。”

辜译

Confucius remarked of a public character of the time, saying, “He was a man who, when there was order and justice in the government of the country, acted as a man of great understanding. But when there was no order and justice in the government of the country, he acted as if he was a man of no understanding. It is easy to act like him as a man of understanding, but it is not easy to imitate him in the way he showed how to act as a man of no understanding.”

孔子评论当时一位公众人物宁武子(姓宁名俞,卫国大夫,“武”是他的谥号)时说:“当国家政府秩序井然、司法公正公平的时候,他的所作所为显示出他洞穿一切。但是,当国家政府秩序混乱、司法失去公正公平的时候,他的所作所为就显得愚笨无知。像他那样显得洞穿一切非常容易,但是要模仿他那样显得愚笨无知却没那么容易。”

(二十一)

子在陈,曰:“归与!归与!吾党之小子狂简,斐然成章,不知所以裁之。”

辜译

When Confucius in the last days of his travels abroad was in a certain State he was heard to say, ” I must think of going home. I must really think of going home. My young people at home are all high-spirited and independent; they are, besides, accomplished in all the arts; but they have no judgment.”

孔子周游列国的最后一段日子(在陈国),有人听到他说:“我想我该回去了!我真的该回去了!我这些学生全都是志向高远且独立自主的人,而且他们在各领域都很有作为,但是他们还没有形成自己的判断,我也不知该怎样去指导他们。”

(二十二)

子曰:“伯夷、叔齐不念旧恶,怨是用希。”

辜译

Confucius, remarking of two ancient worthies, famous for the purity and saintliness of their lives and character, said, “They forgave old wrongs, therefore they had little to complain of the world.”

谈到古代两位在生活和品格方面均以纯洁至善而闻名的杰出人士伯夷和叔齐时,孔子说:“他们能原谅别人所犯的错误,所以他们很少抱怨社会。”

辜解

如果你问一个称职的基督徒:为什么他信上帝并且遵守道德行为准则,他会正确告诉你他这么做是因为他爱基督。因此,你看到,对穆罕默德的信仰,对基督的爱,事实上我所说的对宗教的宗师和建立者的无限赞美、爱和狂热的情感,都会被教会用来保持、激励、鼓励人。世界上所有伟大宗教的真正力量,就在于通过它可以让人、人类大众遵守道德行为准则。孟子在谈到中国历史上两个最纯粹最基督式的人物时说:“人们听说了伯夷和叔齐的精神,放荡的恶棍不再自私,懦弱的人有了勇气。”

(二十三)

子曰:“孰谓微生高直?或乞醯焉,乞诸其邻而与之。”

辜译

Confucius remarked of a character of the time, “Who says that the man is an honest man? When somebody begged him for some household necessary, he went and begged of his neighbours for it and gave it as his own.”

孔子评价当时一个名叫微生高的人说:“谁说他诚实正直呢?当有人求他给一些醋时,他却到邻居家讨了点后当成自己的送给了那个人。”

(二十四)

子曰:“巧言、令色、足恭,左丘明耻之,丘亦耻之。匿怨而友其人,左丘明耻之,丘亦耻之。”

辜译

Confucius remarked, “Plausible speech, fine manners and studied earnestness are things of which a friend of mine was ashamed; I am also ashamed of such things. To conceal resentment against a person and to make friends with him: that is also something of which my same friend was ashamed; l am also ashamed to do such a thing.”

孔子说:“花言巧语,装出好脸色,过分讨好别人,这些都是我的朋友左丘明感到羞耻的事情,我也对这些做法感到羞耻;隐藏对别人的憎恨,却和他交朋友,这也是我的朋友左丘明感到羞耻的,我对此也感到羞耻。”

(二十五)

颜渊、季路侍。子曰:“盍各言尔志?”子路曰:“愿车马、衣轻裘,与朋友共,敝之而无憾。”颜渊曰:“愿无伐善,无施劳。”子路曰:“愿闻子之志。”子曰:“老者安之,朋友信之,少者怀之。”

辜译

On one occasion, when two of his disciples, the favourite Yen Hui and ChungYu the intrepid, were in attendance on him, Confucius said to them, “Now tell me, each of you, your aim in the conduct of life.”

“I would like, ” answered the intrepid Chung Yu, “If I had carriages and horses and clothings of costly furs, to share them with my friends, to be able to consider such things as much belonging to them as belonging to me.”

“And I, ” answered the favourite Yen Hui, “I would like to be able not to boast of my ability and to be able to be humble in my estimate of what I have done for others.”

“Now, ” said the intrepid Chung Yu then to Confucius, “We would like to hear your aim, sir, in the conduct of life.”

“My aim, ” replied Confucius, “would be to be a comfort to my old folk at home, to be sincere, and to be found trustworthy by my friends; and to love and care for my young people at home.”

有一次,孔子最喜欢的两个学生颜回和仲由侍奉在侧,孔子对他们说:“现在你们两个人说一说,你们的毕生志向是什么?”

勇猛的仲由回答:“如果我有一些车、马以及富丽奢华的衣裳,我愿意和朋友一起分享,让他们把属于我的东西也看作是属于他们的东西。”孔子最喜欢的学生颜回回答:“我希望能做到不自我吹嘘;不管为别人做过什么事,在评判自己的时候,都能谦虚谨慎。”“

那么,”勇猛的仲由随后对孔子说,“老师,我们也想听听您一生所追求的志向。”

“我的志向,”孔子回答,“就是可以让老人安享晚年;以诚待人,赢得朋友的信任;关怀年轻人。”

(二十六)

子曰:“已矣乎!吾未见能见其过而内自讼者也。”

辜译

Confucius was once heard to say, “Alas! I do not see now a man who can see his own failing or is willing to bring a suit against himself before his own conscience.”

有一次,有人听到孔子说:“唉!我至今还没看到有人能够发现自己的缺点便自我责备的。”

(二十七)

子曰:“十室之邑,必有忠信如丘者焉,不如丘之好学也。”

辜译

Confucius once remarked, “Even in a very small town there must be men who are as conscientious and honest as myself, only they have not tried to cultivate themselves as I have done.”

孔子曾经说:“即使是在非常小的镇上,也肯定会有像我这样尽职尽责、诚实守信的人,只是他们不如我喜欢学问罢了。”

Discard